[mdlug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 00:11:02 EST 2012

nk oorda wrote:
> Hi
>
> i need some suggestion for defining the partition size for my production
> systems.  we are going to use CentOS 6.2 (64 bit)
>
> - Partition size
> - Mount points
>
> What i am able to get from the google search is:
>
> /            Root File System (/bin , /sbin , /dev , /root
> /usr       program and source
> code
> /var        variable data
> /boot     boot kernels
> /tmp      temp file locations
> /work     to do your work here "you can name it anything"
> Swap
>
>     - */home* - Set option nosuid, and nodev with diskquota option
>     - */usr* - Set option nodev
>     - */tmp* - Set option nodev, nosuid, noexec option must be enabled
>     - /var   local,nodev,nosuid
>

> Most of the server will be running
> - Apache
> -Tomcat
> -SOLR
>
> and few of them would be running MySQL as data base.
>

> what is concern is that one of the developer accidentally deleted the /usr
> files with sudo access.

Devs are not admins.
Devs should not be given root or sudo access. When all your devs have
root access, each one reconfigures the system to what he or she believes
will optimize his or her part of the project, and screw up all the
other devs.

The only people with root or sudo access should be admins.

The devs will bitch and moan, but tough toogies for them.
If he had his mind on being and admin, he wouldn't have deleted /usr.