[mdlug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 5 13:14:54 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 17:58 +0000, Wojtak, Greg (Superfly) wrote:
> >LVM still relies on filesystems on the logical partitions, which means
> >that resizing is not a simple operation.  I use it with ext4 on my
> >workstation though, and it works for most operations.
> How is resizing not a simple operation with LVM?  lvresize + resize2fs.
> The only time I can see an issue is if you are trying to shrink a
> filesystem.

I've regularly done resizes on active production servers;  according to
my notes I've done this as far back as 2004.  Never had an issue.

I don't believe I've ever shrunk a volume;  my rule is just to never
oversubscribe.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>