[mdlug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Mar 2 12:33:48 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 11:28:38AM -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 11:22 -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:42:07AM -0500, Mark Montague wrote:
> > Of course, one would hope that in the near future, LVM, ZFS or a more
> > reliable btrfs (or even some new technology) will give us the ability
> > to treat the disk as a pool and partitions would just be a logical
> > structures in the pool.
>
> How do the current technologies *not* provide exactly that ability?

ZFS simply doesn't exist for linux apart from non-standard patches,
AFAICT.  It really does seem to be a great way of dealing with
storage, if only it was something you could use on linux.

btrfs still doesn't have a released fsck, so I'm ignoring it until
then.  It's almost there, I'll admit.  Still slower than ext4 though.

LVM still relies on filesystems on the logical partitions, which means
that resizing is not a simple operation.  I use it with ext4 on my
workstation though, and it works for most operations.