[mdlug] Advice

James Kissel jlk at osml.eu
Sat Jun 30 10:22:01 EDT 2012

  On 06/29/2012 11:11 PM, Mat Enders wrote:
> Sorry I misunderstood your situation.  I have also seen this before.
> I bought a phone that came with a Star Trek movie on the MicroSD in
> the phone.  I never was able to get rid of it even by wiping and
> partitioning the card.  The partitioning appeared to work but upon
> removal and reinsertion the movie was still there.  I was never able
> to get rid of the movie.  I do not know why.  All I know is that it is
> possible to lock these kinds of devices down so they can not be
> altered.
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Garry Stahl<tesral at wowway.com>  wrote:
>>> Garry I have seen this before. It happens when a thumb drive is improperly
>>> removed. It does not always happen when you improperly remove a thumb drive
>>> but it does happen sometimes. End result is the thumb drive is now dead.
>>>
>> But it isn't dead, you just cannot get rid of the files that lock a windows
>> computer from using it with anyhing but WMP.  It will not even change the
>> partitioning.
A while back I had a similar problem.  I bought a thumb drive from a
bargain bin.  Turns out is had some kind of 'follow me' partition on it
named L3 or R3 or similar.  There wasn't anyway to remove the partition
other than to use the manufacturer's special program as they has
programmed the drives firmware to always save this special partition.
Their program only ran under XP.  I had an old Sony laptop on which I
had keep a small XP partition when I dual-booted the machine.  It's the
only time I found a use for dual boot back to MS Windows.

YMMV