[mdlug] Curious - Phone Tapping Tech

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:14:52 EDT 2012

Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michael Mol wrote:

>>> That assumes the two halves of the pair are coaxial, which they're not.
>>>

>> The only assumption I'm making is that the signal is carried on 2 wires,
>> and that the detector ("tap") wraps around both wires.
>>
>> This sort of thing is covered very thoroughly in a college level
>> 2nd semester physics course (Electro-magnetics optionally with optics)
>
> And degrees of approximation are 1st-semester; I took that series,
> too. It's been almost ten years, but still.
>
> You're applying a 1st-degree of approximation to the problem. Reality
> doesn't usually stop at the 1st approximation.
>
> If Kirchoff's Law had the practical consequence you seem to believe it
> does, then crosstalk wouldn't be a problem between two pairs in the
> same cat3 cable.

Actually, without the pairs being twisted pairs, and the twist
rates in each pair being different, then it would be a serious
problem.  In fact, cross talk in telephone cables is precisely
why twisted pair was invented.

> In reality, it is. As I noted earlier, I could hear
> my parents' conversation on one line when I had the second line
> off-hook. And, yes, these were two different circuits; they just
> happened to share a cat3 cable part way to the telco.

Short-runs are more susceptible to cross-talk because the
varied twist rates of the various pairs are designed to
cancel out cross-talk over long runs.  In short runs,
adjacent twisted pairs with similar twist rates still
exhibit lots of cross-talk, because both pairs flip
polarity of their magnetic fields at about the same
rate. But over a long haul, the adjacent pairs have
as much time in one relative orientation as another.