[mdlug] Curious - Phone Tapping Tech

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Thu Jun 21 15:44:30 EDT 2012

On 06/21/2012 02:42 PM, Michael Mol wrote:

> Though, again, this would only work for a single-pair (or very low
> pair-count) case. If you've got a 25-pair bundle, YMMV depending on
> factors like pair positioning and how many other pairs are active. And
> you probably want to use a former passive sonar operator for
> understanding what you're hearing.

There is a reason wiretaps are made as close to the source as possible.
Trying to find the right pair in even the behind the house cable would
be a bear.  To isolate a single pair in a bundle remotely?  Say it's a
twenty five pair cable.  That is 24 conversations you don't want, and if
your are the FBI with a warrant, cannot listen to.  You would spend a
lot of time finding the right pair.

Have fun at my house.  Three POTS drops and all of them dead.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Politically I have given up on being an anything-arian. I am for accountability and nothing else. Hold the government, in specific the office holders, elected or appointed, accountable for all actions taken in office. Authority must be granted grudgingly and reluctantly. When it is abused it must be snatched away at once. Be it a minimum wage screener at the TSA or the President of the United States.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org