[mdlug] Curious - Phone Tapping Tech

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Thu Jun 21 11:50:15 EDT 2012

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Robert Adkins II
> <radkins at impelind.com> wrote:
> > I am curious to know if phone tapping technology has
> "caught up" with
> > Holywood. In terms of being able to take a band and wrap it
> around a
> > bundle of phone lines and call that a tapped line.
> >
> > I'm curious, because everything that I know regarding this
> technology
> > requires that each individual line be physically
> tapped/connected to
> > in order to obtain anything.
> >
> > I'm talking about Plain Old Telephone Service. Nothing
> fancy like IP
> > based or similar.
>
> Oh, sure. When I was a kid, I could hear my parents'
> telephone conversations by picking up the second phone line;
> it's called crosstalk, and it's a form of accidental
> inductive coupling.
>
> They've probably been making the accidental intentional since WWII.
>
> Doing the same thing with a *bundle* of cables would be a bit
> tricker...but you could probably do a decent job filtering
> crap out with enough signal processing. Filtering out DSL
> frequencies to start, then finding any frequency band groups
> that stop and start (as would happen with a human vocal
> conversation), and locking in on those.
> Eventually, you'd need to get a human involved to separate
> out overlapping conversations.
>
> Though, no, I don't expect you could wrap around a bundle of
> cables and hone in on a specific copper pair. It might be
> easier just to get the circuit on the copper pair physically
> closest to the one you're interested in. "Joe? Eavesdropper
> on line two."
>
> --
> :wq

  Yeah, that's what I was thinking, apparently this fella is dropping
buzzwords like "Las Vegas Black Hat Convention". So, he's really
"convincing". I'll have to ask him if he knows what 2600 is. I still don't
know what his credentials are that make him an expert in the field or even
knowledgeable about what he is talking about.

Thanks,
Rob