[mdlug] Password of DEATH

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Tue Jun 5 15:08:04 EDT 2012

On 06/05/2012 11:56 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 01:21 -0400, Garry Stahl wrote:
>> OK, the gob'ment has sezied yoir laptop and is holding you hostage for
>> the password.  Now you don't have anthung on there really.  (I don't)
>> Nothing critical or irreplacalbe, but dammit, it's none of their business.
>> Suggestion, a second password that if entered goes nuclear on the hard
>> drive deleting the thing wholesale without further action.  Better yet
>> it boots to a croot jail screen while deleting eveything in the Home
>> partition (You do have a separate home partition, right)
>> Is this doable with ah average Linux distro?
> Yes, trivially.
>
> And it would probably be prosecuted as obstruction of justice;  the
> concept of spoilation almost certainly applies.
>
> In short - THIS WOULD BE A VERY *VERY* **STUPID** THING TO DO.
>
> And your wrong: if the computer was seized by a court order everything
> on it is entirely "their business".  That's what the lay says and what a
> court order means.  All information determined not to be related to the
> investigation will return to a protected status.

I was not thinking court order, but airport security.  Or rather
pretense at security.  Fishing expeditions.  Warrentless sezuire because
they can.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Politically I have given up on being an anything-arian. I am for accountability and nothing else. Hold the government, in specific the office holders, elected or appointed, accountable for all actions taken in office. Authority must be granted grudgingly and reluctantly. When it is abused it must be snatched away at once. Be it a minimum wage screener at the TSA or the President of the United States.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org