[mdlug] Password of DEATH

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Jun 5 09:04:57 EDT 2012

> From: Mat Enders

> Standard forensic procedure dictates that you create an image of the
drive
> and work from that image. This is done to preserve any evidence in
it's
> original state so it can be used in court.

Exactly. So you definitely want encryption (with a *good* password). To
protect your data from "rubber-hose cryptanalysis" (beating the key out
of someone), you want 'deniable encryption':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deniable_encryption

I don't know of a mature open-source implementation at a filesystem
level, however. Given an encrypted partition, though, you could put
deniable data *in* it.

If you have a few moments warning before the jackbooted thugs bust in,
though, you could look into "Darik's Boot And Nuke":
http://www.dban.org/

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                      (313)
227-2317

 "I just noticed CVS has started stocking homeopathic pills on the same
shelves
  with - and labeled similarly to - their actual medicine. Telling
someone who
 trusts you that you're giving them medicine, when you know you're not,
because
 you want their money, isn't just lying - it's like an example you'd
make up if
     you had to illustrate for a child why lying is wrong." - Randall
Munroe

http://www.compuware.com/