[mdlug] Domain Registration transfer

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:37:52 EST 2012

Jay Nugent wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Tony Bemus wrote:
>
>> I am getting ready to transfer my domains from godaddy.com to another
>> registrar.  I am looking at http://www.namecheap.com
>> <http://www.namecheap.com/>.  I like that they support the EFF.  Im
>> moving away from godaddy because of their support and retraction of
>> support of the SOPA.
>> Do you guys have any suggestions?
>
>     Dotster.  $16/yr typically.
>
>     ALWAYS have a nice clean user interface.
>     ALWAYS have intelligent people on their help desk.
>     ALWAYS fair about renewing expired domains.
>
>     I once managed as many as 70 domains with them and NEVER had a problem.

After a one-time fee[1], you can register and manage domains through
OpenSRS for very, very cheap. They're setup up such that a domain
reseller could outsource their infrastructure heavy lifting to them.

Their interface is spartan, but functional. And that whole "domain
transfers can take a couple weeks" thing? That's the human oversight
side of domain transfers, which you provide; I had a domain transfer
handled within 30 minutes last week Wednesday, as both me and the guy I
was transferring from both had OpenSRS accounts and were sitting across
a table from each other.

[1] About $100, but good forever...