[mdlug] Mybuntu 11.04 -> Mythbuntu 11.11 causes X server to break

R KANNAN rk111810 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 09:15:33 EST 2012

I looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and found the following

[    77.000] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan  7
08:35:29 2012
[    77.000] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[    77.000] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[    77.000] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[    77.000] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[    77.000] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[    77.000] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
        Using a default monitor configuration.
[    77.001] (==) Automatically adding devices
[    77.001] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[    77.001] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not
exist.

So there is no configuration but using defaults. The conf files under
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d did not have Screen or Monitor sections. They
had several input sections similar to

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

So I tried to create a new configuration file with

Xorg -configure

I ot the following:

(EE) Failed to load module "vmwgfx" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) vmware: Please ignore the above warnings about not being able to to
load module/driver vmwgfx
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
  Configuration failed.
 ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

I cannot understand where the two screens are coming from.

At one time with my old configuration I had added an external monitor and
disabled it in Xfwm window manager. I tried turning the external monitor on
without any luck.

Someone had suggested that I should turn off the autologon off
(/etc/gdm/custom.conf). That did not help.

Thanks