[mdlug] IPv6

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 00:12:44 EST 2012

My Internet connection through Comcast also doesn't include IPv6,
though my modem supports it; Comcast hasn't rolled out IPv6 in my area
yet. So I use tunnelbroker.net, which is a free tunnel service offered
by Hurricane Electric. They only require that you have a public IPv4
address; it doesn't have to be static, but you do need to reconfigure
their end of things if your public IPv4 address changes. This is
scriptable.

I can also talk about the difference between radvd/RAs, which don't
include nameserver information, and DHCPv6, which can. My own setup
has nameserver details distributed via IPv4 DHCP.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Stan Green <Stan at mcomputersolutions.com> wrote:
> My AT&T DSL modem does not work 100% with IPv6. It cannot provide DNS entries
> for DHCP. I have to hard code the DNS for Debain 6+. It is not a big deal, so I
> have not contacted AT&T.
>
> Regards,
> Stan
> On Thursday 05 January 2012 09:29:50 pm Michael Mol wrote:
>> I'll be coming by next week to do a presentation on IPv6. I dug
>> through the MDLUG's mailing list archives to see if there had been any
>> prior discussion on-list about the topic, but I don't see any. So I
>> thought I'd ask for those who plan to be at the meeting:
>>
>> * What experiences do you already have with IPv6?
>> * What questions do you have regarding IPv6?
>> * What kinds of networked hardware and operating systems do you use?
>>
>> In my presentation, I plan on bringing my laptop with me. Presuming I
>> can get Internet access, I'll set my laptop as an IPv6 router, and set
>> up a local network which you can connect to; the network will have
>> both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity, and you should be able to quickly
>> find out how well your portable hardware works over IPv6.

:wq