[mdlug] Steam on Linux

Tue Dec 11 04:55:18 EST 2012

Adam Behnke <abehnke at gmail.com>, on Tue  2012.12.11 said:

> ugh, ok, so now i will ask for help, lol.
[...]
> i've placed the strstr.c file in $me/.steam/bin

	Hi;

	Let us not deviate from the workaround. Place strstr.c
in $HOME/ Compile it there. Its harder to debug it when you are
modifying things on your own, even though such mods might be valid.

> i then ran in terminal the gcc command (having cd /.steam/bin first)

	verify that you have a strstr.so file in $HOME/
	and that hl2debug references it correctly.

> i created the hl2debug, and set the export to $HOME/.steam/bin/strstr.so
> chmod +x hl2debug

	mkdir $HOME/bin if it does not yet exist.
	put hl2debug in $HOME/bin/ and reference $HOME/strstr.so in it.
	Make sure you cut and pasted it from the workaround. Its
all one line, though it may look broken up on the web page.

> gedit /etc/bin.bashrc and added

	dont edit that, edit ~/.bashrc (same thing as $HOME/.bashrc)

> [code]
> #steam debugger
> export PATH=$HOME/.steam/bin:$PATH
> export GAME_DEBUGGER="hl2debug"
> [/code]

	(commands below are quoted, dont type the single quotes)
	Quit steam.
	Now, type 'source ~/.bashrc' if it complains about 'No such
file or directory' you didnt make a ~/.bashrc
	type 'echo $GAME_DEBUGGER'
	This should give the expected result. (ie. 'hl2debug')
	Now type 'which hl2debug', it should say whatever $HOME/bin/hl2debug
evaluates to. If not, type 'hash -r' and try again.
	Now type 'hl2debug ls'
	This should just opperate exactly like 'ls' would. (or any other
command.) If it does not, something went wrong.

> i'm reading the next step and asking myself, "what does that even mean?"
>
> "Either log out/back in if you want to launch steam with the menu
> option, or just get the variable into your environment (`source
> ~/.bashrc`) and launch steam from the terminal."
>

> having done srcds before, i changed the desktop launcher to
> (/usr/bin/steam %U 'source ~/.bashrc')  with no success.

	No. If everything went right up until now, just run steam.
	Revert anything you tried not within this workaround.

> i just tried source ~/.bashrc in terminal and then steam, but now i
> get an fatal error stating "failed to load libstream.so"

	The error that the workaround tries to avoid is:

GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode: NOT AVAILABLE
Required OpenGL extension "GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode" is not supported. Please
update your OpenGL driver.

	If you get that, either the workaround is bad, or you did not
do it right.

Paul