[mdlug] Steam on Linux

Adam Behnke abehnke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 02:42:02 EST 2012

ugh, ok, so now i will ask for help, lol.

system:
ubuntu studio 12.04 x64
radeon hd 5700 graphics card
system fully updated via repositories except the video driver (which i just did)

i just installed the most recent stable driver for my radeon hd 5700
graphics card from the amd/ati website (there is a beta driver, it may
be my next step).

see the screenshot of my error (shrunk down)

i'm following a work around, but maybe i'm just not understanding it.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/846938351012409765/

i've placed the strstr.c file in $me/.steam/bin
i then ran in terminal the gcc command (having cd /.steam/bin first)
i created the hl2debug, and set the export to $HOME/.steam/bin/strstr.so
chmod +x hl2debug
gedit /etc/bin.bashrc and added

[code]
#steam debugger
export PATH=$HOME/.steam/bin:$PATH
export GAME_DEBUGGER="hl2debug"
[/code]

i'm reading the next step and asking myself, "what does that even mean?"

"Either log out/back in if you want to launch steam with the menu
option, or just get the variable into your environment (`source
~/.bashrc`) and launch steam from the terminal."

having done srcds before, i changed the desktop launcher to
(/usr/bin/steam %U 'source ~/.bashrc')  with no success.

i just tried source ~/.bashrc in terminal and then steam, but now i
get an fatal error stating "failed to load libstream.so"