[mdlug] Semi-advanced DVD authoring - varying chapter lengths

Paul set at pobox.com
Mon May 23 16:42:14 EDT 2011

"Ingles, Raymond" <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com>, on Mon  2011.05.23 said:
> I haven't had much trouble making DVDs with Linux. DeVeDe has worked
> pretty well for my modest purposes. But I have slightly more advanced
> needs now and I'm hoping someone can give me a hand.
>
> I recorded my son's talent show and I'm putting together the DVD for it.
> There are over forty acts, though, and I'd like to set up the chapters
> in the video so that people can use the 'jump forward' button to skim to
> their kid.
>
> So, is there a tool that will let me feed in chapter times? Or a
> toolchain that will let me, at one step or another, edit a config file
> with the act times? Thanks.

	Hi;

	Well, my favorite tool is dvdwizrd:

http://www.joonet.de/dvdwizard/

	Its a command line tool, which unless you enjoy futzing around
with drag-n-drop type guis generally does the job much easier. It will
take a chapter spec which includes the form dvdauthor accepts (see
dvdauthors man page under --chapters). (I believe it will also accept
a file with the chapter spec inside.)

eg.: dvdwizard -T "test" -t "foo vid" foo.mpg  -c 01.000,02.000,03.000,04.000,05.000

	This would create a dvd with a few 1 second interval chapters,
each with its own screenshot you could select from the 'chapters'
menu. A tool like avidemux might be helpful for finding the chapter
times.

	Note that 'foo.mpg' must be a dvd compatible mpeg.
	Dvdwizard is a set of bash scripts and keeps a log in case
soemthing goes wrong. (usually that would be a problem with too old/new/
missing tools it uses.)

Paul
set at pobox.com