[mdlug] Power supply & hard drive

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 00:38:23 EDT 2011

--- Mark Thuemmel wrote:

> I'm not an electrical engineer in real life, but here is how I think:
> Your total amperage draw from your
> cpu/memory/drives/video/motherboard/fans should be about 60% of the
> rating of the power supply.
> The best efficiency for power consumption and heat is when the power
> supply is running at about 50 to 75% of its rating.
> Your example of 750 for 400 seems reasonable, if you really draw 400.

Don't over-think it.  As someone that has repaired switching power
supplies for over 35 years, it REALLY doesn't make that much
difference.  Most power supplies these days are over 80%
efficient--and power rating versus actual load doesn't make much
difference, nor does power factor correction (often touted as being of
value).  The 500 watt power supply that I linked to would be more than
sufficient.

~~ Michael Rudas
   My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com
   http://www.Facebook.com/ScienceMikey