[mdlug] Note about 2TB+ drives, was Re: Power supply & hard drive

Paul set at pobox.com
Sat May 21 21:39:22 EDT 2011

Paul <set at pobox.com>, on Sat  2011.05.21 said:
> Raj KANNAN <rk111810 at gmail.com>, on Sat  2011.05.21 said:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am planning on collecting components to be used to build a media desktop
>
> 	I have both a WD and Samsung 2tb drive. The problem with

	Hi;

	I forgot to mention that if you are partitioning a 2TB+
drive, that you should align them on 4K boundries. These drives
may have internal 4K sector sizes, though they emulate  and
report the standard 512byte sectors. This means that you may get
poorer performance if you dont align them properly when creating
your partitions. Modern partitioning tools are suposed to deal
with this now.
	(I have not tested non-4K aligned partitions on these
particular drives.)
	One way to determine if things are 4K aligned is that
the Start positions, if shown in 512byte sectors should be
evenly divisible by 8 (8 * 512 bytes = 4K bytes)

Paul
set at pobox.com