[mdlug] USB Headset

rrclark at rrclark.net rrclark at rrclark.net
Fri Mar 4 08:50:48 EST 2011

> Dear All,
>
> I'm thinking about purchasing a USB headset that I can use for making VOiP
> phone calls with Google Voice.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this? Make a suggestion for those that
> play nice with GNU/Linux? Anything to avoid?
>
> I will be using this mostly with my desktop, which runs Debian stable, if
> that matters.

Jim:

I'm using Ubuntu Maverick here with a Logitech USB headset, in particular
this model:  http://tinyurl.com/5ton9vr

It works perfectly for your planned use, as I've VOIPed with both Google's
app and with Skype, and used it for many other audio/visual projects here.
It integrates well w/ PulseAudio. I use the headset mainly when
transcribing medical transcription, and the USB passthrough works really
well to connect a USB footpedal to the VMWare virtual Win XP session for
my employer's transcription app. I also use it when gaming on Warcraft,
and use Mangler as a Linux Ventrilo client.

Have fun,