[mdlug] USB Headset

Michael Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 02:53:05 EST 2011

Hi Robert and mdlug-ers:

I did a lot of research last year, and got a FREETALK Everyman USB headset last year for use with Skype, and it works great out of the box.

My experience has been very good, and I highly recommend this headset for Linux.

http://shop.skype.com/headsets/usb/iss-talk-5115-everyman/

And here's a review:

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/skype/freetalk-everyman-skype-headset-review.asp

No driver installation necessary.  Just plug it in, and the system recognizes it almost immediately.  This is on Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.5.5, and the output device (actually 4 variations) can be viewed on  System Settings -> Multimedia -> Phonon.  I have used it without a hitch since 9.04 and KDE 4.2+.

If you purchase the headset (mine was delivered in about 3 days), here is what you should be able to do, assuming you are using ALSA:

* plug in the headset
* run alsamixer in a terminal
* press f6 to select the device, and choose "FREETALK Everyman" as your device
* press f4 to select input, and make sure your mic is turned up (press 8 to get 80%)
* press f3 to select output, and make sure your pcm output is turned up (again press 8 to get 80%)
* press escape to exist

* arecord -L will list your PCM devices.  In my case, the device "default:CARD=Everyman" works great
* Record a test file.  Speak into the headset after typing in  arecord -Ddefault:CARD=Everyman -t wav -f cd test.wav
* And play it back through the headset: aplay -Ddefault:CARD=Everyman test.wav

This should be an excellent choice with Google Voice.

Hope that helps!

Sincerely, Mike