[mdlug] Reverse-engineering data protocols

Stan Green Stan at mcomputersolutions.com
Thu Mar 3 22:53:26 EST 2011

On Thursday 03 March 2011 03:08:17 pm David McMillan wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 2:22 PM, Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> > Well, there's one other option if you can't reverse-engineer the
> > handshake. Set up a virtual machine on Linux, running Windows. Run the
> > logging software in there. Export the drive so that the Linux host can
> > read it. Have the Linux host watch for data files and copy them off
> > somewhere safe.
>
>      No good, I'm afraid.  Without a manual intervention pushing
> keys/clicking mouse, the server software produces no files at all --
> it's all buffered in RAM until the user manually directs the software to
> export a log file.  One side-effect of this is that on occasions where
> I've left the data stream running for too long (as in, tens of minutes),
> my pagefile usage soars until the entire computer chokes.

If you could allow a timed log dump (e.g. every 5 min.) then you could use a
product like Autoit (http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/), which is a
scripted keyboard and mouse simulator,  on the Windows box to dump the log.
This product can run just about any Windows program from a script. I use it
every day to do little task and some days to do big ones. It is not open
source, but it is freeware.