[mdlug] Reverse-engineering data protocols

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Wed Mar 2 07:41:26 EST 2011

On 3/1/2011 2:44 PM, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Have you contacted the manufacturer?
     Oh, yes.  First thing I did.  And I'm still working my contacts on
that end, but sometimes it seems like this manufacturer rolls 10D100
magic 8-balls in order to decide what data to share and what not to.  I
suspect a large number of departments with little or no unified policy
on proprietary-vs-open information.
> It would probably be simpler for them to just write a small
> bit of code to close the logging file, and start a new one
> (with a different name), and send you a new file.
     That I suspect won't happen, based on previous experience.  I'll
spare you the sordid details, but this particular supplier writes their
software the way *they* think it should be, customer feedback be hanged,
regardless of how big the customer is.  They keep getting business
because their stuff is *good,* no question -- I keep using it because
it's simply the best there is for what I'm doing -- but they seem to be
firmly convinced that they know better than the customer.  Although,
given my own experience with their largest customers, I can't entirely
blame them for that attitude...
     I did in fact run the logging software through a reverse compiler
(the last few years, this vendor has been moving towards writing most of
their Windows-side applications in un-obfuscated .NET), but it didn't go
anywhere.  This particular app was probably written by a dept that is
still sticking to VB6.
> And no, I don't like Windows at all -- but without feedback
> from users, they'll never know that their logging software
> is the pits.
     To be fair, I really am using this piece of software in ways it
wasn't intended -- it wasn't intended as a tool that would see lots of
heavy constant use.