[mdlug] Creating virtual machines

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Tue Mar 1 08:58:54 EST 2011

Joe Doehler wrote:
> In all cases, I used VMWare ("Workstation" for the Linux host, "Player"
> for the Win7 host). I tried VirtualBox in Win7, but it hung up during
> installation every time I tried while looking for a video card. I gave
> up on it. I think that the VMWare products are simply more mature; they
> have all been rock-stable for me.

Interesting, I've had just the opposite experience the last
couple of years with VMware and VirtualBox.  I've had several
issues with VWware-Server, versions 1 and 2, and wasn't able
to install ESXi on a Dell 2850 server.  Meanwhile I've had
very few problems that were easily fixed with VirtualBox.
Granted, I wasn't paying for VMware, but I have stopped using
the free versions of it.