[mdlug] Creating virtual machines

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Tue Mar 1 08:44:48 EST 2011

David McMillan wrote:
>      So, my thought is, I *ought* to be able to create a VM from the
> copy of the stolen laptop's WinXP partition.  But aside from a bit of
> messing about with VMWare, I haven't got any experience in this area.
> Ideally, I'd like to create a VM that can be stored in my multi-access
> partition, and run from inside either Win7, or from Linux, so I don't
> have to reboot to access the VM when I need it.  So a multi-platform VM
> hosting system is essential, and of course the more Open-Source the
> better.

Hi David,

You've probably already heard from others, so I'll just toss
in my 2 cents.  If I were doing this I would use VirtualBox.
It will run in Linux or Windows, and you can run the same
VM alternating the host OS.  It also has tools to let you
create a virtual hard drive from a real hard drive.  You
would use your dd image as a source as if it was a hard drive.
If you do a Google search you'll find instructions to set up
everything.