[mdlug] WTF /var/log

Robert Jim Fulner fulner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:55:46 EDT 2011

I booted into GNOME today after I had had a bunch of weird things going
on in LXDE were I normally reside. (Like being told I had 36GB of free
space, and also being told there was not enough room to save the word
processing document I was writing).

In GNOME I was greated with a message informaing me i had 0 bytes of
space left. WTF, I have like nothing on this machine, I'm not a
music/video guy...

Run the Disk Use Analyser as requested, and /var/log is using up 98% of
the space on my system.

The only thing I can think that this may have to do with is that after
Penguincon I got really excited about a few of the panels I went to and
installed Drupal6 without really knowing what I was doing and realizing
later that's not really approiate for my home machine, and is intended
to be on the webserver itself. So I'm not using any of that bolonga, but
I'm gonna guess that's what's eating my resources.

Is my conjecture accurate? What's the best way to go from here to get
useable space back without screwing up my system in the process.
--
==
Jim Fulner

Sent with Iceape Mail