[mdlug] Email Woes - Attachments with Outlook wonky, Same email in T-bird? No problem

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jan 26 08:58:02 EST 2011

> What you're describing is a data marshalling bug in the
> original recipient, resulting in some key MIME component
> getting dropped, which, not surprisingly, is therefore not
> part of the message when it is forwarded to yet another
> recipient, thereby causing all recipients (regardless of
> reader software) to see raw MIME/html/etc.

	Yes. Something is being dropped. From what I have been reading,
there are some pointers suggesting a flag on a Microsoft Exchange Server
that sent the original message being off in some manner that ONLY displays
incorrectly on Outlook. The problem here is that sources of these emails
have all their email sent through a single server and at one of the sources,
I do not believe that their email server is a Microsoft Exchange server,
based upon the email client software that they use.

> > What I have been seeing is something to do with settings on the
> > sending Exchange Server, but two of these sources appear to
> be using
> > something other than Outlook/Exchange or are using
> Exchange with different email clients.
> > One client uses Lotus Notes, but I'm unsure what their server is.
>
> Sounds like Outlook is mishandling some edge condition which
> Thunderbird tolerates better.

  Yes, this is my going theory, based upon what I have been able to find via
Google searches.

  I think what I am going to start with is a repair install of the MS Office
package. If that fails to correct the issue, then a full uninstall, registry
scrubbing and then reinstall is in order.

	Thanks,
	Rob