[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomenon?

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Fri Jan 21 23:01:36 EST 2011

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> "never" is a very long time.  I recall when LINUX on the desktop was
> tricky and LINUX on the laptop was dicey.  But that is *not* currently
> true.  I use LINUX on a laptop as my primary machine - everything works
> out-of-the-box.  No fiddling with X, no kernel compiling.  It has pretty
> much worked out-of-the-box for the last three to four years [assuming
> you purchased hardware with the intention of running LINUX - if you just
> try to throw it on whatever you have lying around I am certain your
> experience will be quite different].

Never began in 2004 when with a box of Suse 8.2 I defenestrated windows
and turned my Gateway into a Linux box.  Maybe I have just been lucky,
but I have gotten a good install of every machine I have.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know, the rest is propaganda. -- Horacio Verbitsky
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org