[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomenon?

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Fri Jan 21 11:44:01 EST 2011

Wojtak, Greg wrote:
> I'm in a position to be able to to choose between a Mac and Windows
> workstation.  I started using a PC because I thought it would be easier to
> work with since there's a large Windows server presence here too.  I
> finally got sick and tired of all the problems I was encountering (how can
> a dual core laptop with 8 GB RAM run so slow with Windows 7?!) and
> requested a Mac Book Pro.  I would *never* go back.  Some of the
> integration isn't quite right but I manage for those couple things.  This
> laptop cost probably double what the Dell did.  But how much of a drawback
> is that when I was spending a few hours a week total (I kept track)
> waiting while I reboot or trying to track down problems in an "OS" where
> the end user has 0 visibility into what's going on internally (ie lack of
> error logs, or cryptic ones at best)?  If I had the choice to run Linux on
> the desktop, that would be ideal for me.  But the Mac comes in an awful
> close second, especially when the desktop environment is so much better
> than what I've used on a Linux workstation (admittedly, the last time I
> actually *used* a Linux desktop environment was about 5 years ago).

If I hadot choose between Windows or Mac, and Linux was not in the
running I would take the Mac, certainly if I wasn't paying for it.

I started using Linux desktop in 04 with Suse 8.2.  It has come a long
way in those few short years.  Every version has been easier to install,
and use than the last.

BTW no instillation is 100% drop dead smooth.  However the average
Windows and Mac user never do an install.  They have no idea how much
trouble it is.  Comparison, the last time I did a dual boot.  (And the
last time I will) It took me half a day of flogging the net for drivers
and reboots to get the windows side working.  I had Linux installed, and
updated in 45 minutes.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know, the rest is propaganda. -- Horacio Verbitsky
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org