[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomanon?

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 11:15:42 EST 2011

--- Art Dries wrote:

> I'm trying 2 reason out how this grassroots effort
> is considered mainstream now. Could it be that
> a slow economy, increasing cost of proprietary software,
> and an abundance of cheap hardware made it an
> obvious choice? Or is there a less cynical reason?

Most  of the above can be explained as a "race to the bottom"--plus,
we are witnessing the rise of ubiquitous computing.  2011 will mark a
turning point in the decline of desktop computing and the rapid
expansion of tablets, smartphones, and smart appliances--a market that
neither Microsoft nor Intel will be able to dominate (witness the
Windows Phone 7 debacle and the "Windows on ARM" vaporware).  Even
Apple is likely to be overwhelmed, eventually (good riddance).
Android/Chrome/MeeGo/WebOS on ARM will eventually dominate, at least
in sheer numbers.  This article provides a good perspective:
"The Fall of Wintel and the Rise of ARMdroid"
<http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/01/the_fall_of_wintel_and_the_ris.html>
Microsoft will attempt to wield its patents and those of its proxies
(such as Acacia and Intellectual Ventures).

~~ Michael Rudas
   My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com
   My software blog: http://FaveSoft.blogspot.com
   My Protopage links: http://TinyURL.com/protop