[mdlug] Connect Nautilus to network share

Mat Enders mat.enders at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 17:32:17 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Mat Enders <mat.enders at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am having difficulty connecting to a samba share with nautilus.  With
> KDEs
> > konquerer I used to be able to connect with the shares address the same
> way
> > you would with windows.  like this: \\server\share  Is there a way to do
> > this with nautilus.
> >

> smb://<servername or IP address>/<share>
>
> That method fails with an error "Cannot display location smb://server/share
Failed to mount Windows share"
So i tried this method "smb://Domain;User@server/share" which gives me a
pop-up asking for the users password which I supply
It then fails with the following error  "Cannot display location
smb://Domain;User@server/share Failed to mount Windows share"
Then I tried this format smb://Domain;User@IP Address/share which gives me a
pop-up asking for the users password which I supply
It then connects and works fine.  The question is why does it fail with the
servers name instead, does it not use netbios to resolve the server name and
if not then what is it using to try and resolve the server name.

--
Mathew E. Enders