[mdlug] [Discuss] REMEMBER Our Next MUG Meeting is Tuesday, January 11, 2011, at 6:30pm

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Sat Jan 8 18:51:09 EST 2011

FYI

Please note: forwarded message attached

From: Duane Brown <dobwan at comcast.net>
To: mug - announce <announce at mug.org>, mug - discuss <discuss at mug.org>
Subject: [Discuss]  REMEMBER Our Next MUG Meeting is Tuesday, January 11, 2011, at 6:30pm
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 18:31:08 -0500

Globe Life Insurance
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4d28f8847da64ab57dfst03vuc
-------------- next part --------------

      Remember our Next MUG Meeting is this Tuesday, January 11, 2011,
      at 6:30pm

      Due to the change in meeting location I am sending to both the
      discuss list and announce list. Many of you got this announcement
      more than once, please accept my apologies but it's important to
      make sure the word on the location change gets out. Thanks

See the note below about our new location, starting this month

      Main Topic: Agile CMMI: Driving Radical Change in your organization

Why do we resist change? Why is "process" a dirty word in software
development? Why can't you just leave me alone so I can write software?

In an industry that is becoming progressively more competitive and lean
the process used to develop systems and software is the last frontier
for competitive advantage. No longer is one country or culture
dominating the software profession. Similar education, technologies,
infrastructure, and skills are available to all corners of the world,
but innovative and useful processes that harness these resources
effectively have eluded all but a handful of organizations.

With their high-failure rates, high cost, and over-reliance on mountains
of documentation, over complicated and ill-deployed processes have
soured the industry on processes based on models such as CMMI, ITIL,
ISO, and SPICE. But the success or failure of the systems development
process doesn't lie in these source models, but in the interpretation
and deployment of processes based on those models, and this distinction
can make the difference between a vibrant and innovative company and one
that is struggling for survival.

The application of agile methods to the development of software and
systems has revolutionized the industry, but consistency,
predictability, and repeatability still have not been realized by most
engineering and IT organizations. The CMMI provides an excellent model
for the integration of agility with disciplined structure that will
address these business needs, but the method used to develop such an
approach has never materialized.

His presentation will summarize research conducted while co-authoring
the SEI technical Note "CMMI or Agile: Why not Embrace Both?!" and will
discuss the reasons for the perceived conflict between agile and CMMI,
the science behind radical change, along with some surprising findings
and solutions.

Bio: */Jeff Dalton/* is an enigma ­both an agile evangelist and a
certified CMMI Lead Appraiser, CMMI Instructor, and partner at the
Software Engineering Institute. He is an international speaker who was
voted "best presenter" at both the SEI¹s annual conference and at the
International Conference for CMMI in Lima, Peru. 2010. In 2009 he was
awarded the prestigious SEI Member Award for his work in uniting the
Agile and CMMI communities. He is co-author of the SEI Technical Report
"CMMI or Agile: Why Not Embrace Both!" As President of Broadsword, a
Detroit based consulting firm, he is a business owner, public speaker,
expert witness, author, and consultant with over twenty years of
software development, technology and software process improvement
experience.

Visit Jeff's Blog at http://askTheCMMIAppraiser.com and follow him on
Twitter: CMMIAppraiser

      Command of the month: netcat

*/Dave Satwicz/* will be covering the *netcat* command this month.
Netcat is often referred to as a "Swiss-army knife for TCP/IP." Its list
of features includes port scanning, transferring files, and port
listening, and it can be used as a backdoor.

      Nomination for the board of directors

At the February 8th meeting (weather permitting), we'll be holding
elections for the board of directors. At the January 11th meeting, we'll
officially accept nominations for candidates to the board. If you or
someone you know would like to help drive the direction of MUG, please
consider submitting a nomination.

*Everything Else*
As usual we'll discuss any current happenings in the Linux community,
have our book giveaway, and plan on some dinner after the meeting where
you can hammer our speakers with the hard hitting questions they deserve.

If you have topics for future meetings you would like us to cover please
email the board <mailto:board at mug.org>, thanks.

      Where:

Since January 2011 the MUG meetings are held at:

Engineering Society of Detroit
20700 Civic Center Drive
Suite 450
Southfield, MI 48076

Click here
<http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=address&searchtype=address&cat=&address=20700%20Civic%20Center%20Drive&city=Southfield&state=MI&zipcode=48076&searchtab=home>
for a map of the area.

      When:

the meetings are on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

6:00pm 	Doors open, registration 	O'Reilly <http://www.oreilly.com>
6:30pm 	Meeting starts, Mug business
6:45pm 	Main presentation
8:15pm 	2nd Presentation
8:45pm 	Meeting adjourns
9:00pm 	Dinner at a local establishment,
January at Copper Canyon
February at Shields Pizza