[mdlug] Video Input issues (Was: Wall Wart Devices)

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon Feb 28 14:04:38 EST 2011

On 2/12/2011 6:44 PM, David McMillan wrote:

     Top-posting for reasons of brevity:
     I've still got the listed issues with the video input.  /dev/video0
just can't seem to dependably sync to the Vsync of the incoming
composite video  signal -- even my best images have bottom 2/3 of the
image *above* the top 1/3.  And usually a thick green bar taking up the
bottom 10% or so of each image, probably representing a portion of the
Vertical Blanking Interval (wow, I still remember some of that stuff
from ELT 205 in college!).  That's about 75% of all the images, with the
other 25% being either fuzzed out or vertically "rolling".
     I figure there *has* to be some way to "tune" this in better,
adjust the timing threshold of how the V4L tools handle the vertical
sync, or something.  But so far all my googling about has mainly turned
up references to bugs in video *output* from ATI and Nvidia cards.
     One thing I'm wondering is if mplayer or ffmpeg might have the
tools I need.  But then I need a way to get motion to take a feed from
mplayer/ffmpeg, rather than directly from /dev/video0.