[mdlug] MS Exchange alternative

Mark Montague markmont at umich.edu
Wed Feb 9 20:33:28 EST 2011

  On February 9, 2011 20:07 , "rborromeo at the5spot.com"
<rborromeo at the5spot.com> wrote:
> Are there any other alternatives to Exchange other than Zimbra? Now that
> it's own by Vmware it doesn't seem like much of an option as the price
> tag is on par with Exchange.

SOGo + OpenChange gives you a complete solution that allows MS Outlook
users to continue using Outlook, while others use Mozilla Thunderbird
and Mozilla Lightning, Apple iCal, the SOGo web interface, or other clients.

http://www.sogo.nu/about/overview.html

There is an excellent article about what SOGo is and how to set it up in
the January 2011 issue of Linux Journal.  I have not tried SOGo myself
yet, but thanks to the Linux Journal article, I will if I ever have a need.

However...  can you be more specific as to what your requirements are
for an alternative to Exchange?  For example, I use http://fastmail.fm/
for my email and am quite happy with it (it is based on Cyrus IMAPd),
and I find Exchange to be a poor substitute in comparison.  But then, I
probably have different requirements than you do.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark at catseye.org