[mdlug] What Just Happened Yast???

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Wed Feb 9 09:15:20 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 19:41 -0500, Peter Bart wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 14:07 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > Peter Bart wrote:

> > > FWIW I checked memory with memtest for several hours and it reported no
> > > errors. I checked the disk itself with smartctl long test and it
> > > reported no errors. This machine had some quirks and was originally
> > > programmed at the time when I would try something I found on the net
> > > simply because I thought it was cool. I've had difficulty starting and
> > > running various programs on it before. I'm assuming I simply screwed
> > > with something I had no business with. I zeroed the drive and am in the
> > > process of loading all my needed software after installing openSUSE 11.3
> > > 64bit with KDE as the window manager. So far so good! I accepted all the
> > > default install options except I increased swap to twice of memory ;)
> >
> > Be aware that there IS a KDE 3.5 or 3.6 repository for oS 11.3 available,
> > since KDE 4.5 is beta-state in some ways.  There's a KDE developer up in
> > Flint who says he's still using 3.6 because 4.x still has stability
> > problems.  Aaron Segio, pathological liar, needs to be removed.
>
> Dear Aaron,
> Thanks for the heads up, no problems so far here!

So far so good. KDE does have a few quirks and is laid out very
differently. As for hardware problems, what I've seen so far supports
the idea I screwed things up previously. Programs that constantly
complained of missing this or that run smoothly, I no longer get
annoying intermittent power off when docking while suspended, computer
also now stays suspended when handled. So I feel pretty confident
hardware is ok.
--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber