[mdlug] Wall wart devices

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Sun Feb 6 09:08:15 EST 2011

	I'm looking for a gizmo that may not yet exist.  Although if anyone has
a good suggestion, I'm willing to break out my soldering iron.
	Here's the situation:  I have developed a need for a covert nannycam
device that can be placed unobtrusively.  Unfortunately, I can't run any
cables to this device, and it needs to be able to hide in plain sight.
I've done a lot of shopping around "spy shack" type places, but most of
what I've found is painfully obvious, or outrageously priced.
	However, a new "wall wart" stuck in the wall plug isn't going to
attract any attention.  Which seemed like a perfect solution, until I
found that no one seems to make a camera disguised as a wall wart.
	Something like a GuruPlug or a Wifi-enabled SheevaPlug might do the
job, *if* I could somehow cram a small webcam *inside* the housing.
However, that's not happening.
	Then I started to wonder:  what would it take to cram a small SBC and a
webcam into a wall-wart housing, equip it with HomePNA or WiFi, and set
it up as a sort of webcam server to my network?  I'm not a Linux novice,
but SBCs are something completely new to me.
	My needs are pretty minimal, geared more towards small size, low heat,
low maintenance; I would really only need a minimal distro setup that
could run motion and some sort of micro web server.  Or... I dunno, is
there a way to "serve" a USB port transparently from one computer to
another?
	Anyway, has anyone seen anything like this?  A decent instructable to
use as a jumping-off point would be sufficient -- I just keep coming up
empty using Google.