[mdlug] What Just Happened Yast???

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Thu Feb 3 07:47:33 EST 2011

Good Morning,
The other day I was updating my openSUSE 10.3 64bit install; on a Lenovo
T61; with Yast package manager. While that was going on I tried to open
a database with Keepassx. I was unceremoniously logged out. I tried
several more times with the same results. At that point the package
manager did not appear to be running, but I did not check top. I power
cycled the machine and only got as far as the terminal prompt. The
system tells me to run fsck, which I do. Trying xdm and xinit resulted
in errors. Something about elf headers. Same error trying to start other
programs.
Annoying, but not fatal. So I mount my external hard drive and cp my
home directory over, because I haven't run a backup from this machine
for a while. I was planning on reprogramming this machine and use LVM
for the partitions, just not right away.
Now I know I don't have the actual error messages, but would anyone care
to guess what happened? I assume because the package manager was
interrupted mid upgrade something got hosed. Why would trying to open a
database with Keepassx log me out, Keepassx was allready running. The
sequence the was >file>open database.
--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber