[mdlug] sshfs mount

Mark Thuemmel ldaphelp at thuemmel.com
Fri Dec 30 19:19:04 EST 2011

I tend to gravitate to rsync instead of scp because if I get interrupted
I can restart where I left off and update the backup without copying
everything every time.  I don't know if scp supports restarts.

ssh into the server and issue something like this;

rsync -avz -e ssh remoteuser at remotehost:/remote/dir /this/dir/

I can understand the gui way Mat is doing it for bunches of small files
all over the place though.  In that case I might consider installing
NoMachine NX on the server and just one mount to the remote instead of
two mounts Mat described (which is doubling the data transfer
(server->laptop->destination)

I vote Carl is right according to the way Mat said "mount both servers"
and laptop, assuming his laptop is not one of the servers.

On a lan it probably isn't too bad, but over the Internet it could be
more significant.