[mdlug] Dymo 450 Twin Turbo Won't Switch Rolls

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Sun Aug 21 19:29:53 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,
	My problem is I can't get the Dymo to switch to the right side
	roll from the left side. I tried changing properties in CUPS
	and glabels to no effect. Everything prints from the left roll.
	What I did so far is below, can anyone push me in the right
	direction?
	I've exhausted my limited abilities. I'm trying to get a Dymo
	450 Twin Turbo to work properly. I tried the installation
	instructions from
<http://sites.dymo.com/DeveloperProgram/Pages/LW_SDK_Linux.aspx> which
end with the command line error: configure: error: Can't find cups
library. I assume I'm missing some of the dependencies listed in the
install readme file:
To compile and install source package you will need:
  - recent C++ compiler. We used gcc ver. 3.3.5 & 4.0.1
  - installed CUPS *.h files (cups/cups.h, cups/raster.h)
  - installed CUPS libraries (libcups, libcupsimage)
	The Dymo documentation last revised 7.10.09 also indicates the
	following:
The drivers have been tested under following Linux distributions so far
and will work on most Linux distributions with CUPS as long as the CUPS
package dependencies are met.
Gentoo Linux 2005
Fedora Core 3 & 4
CentOS Linux
Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 9.04
	The documentation states it works correctly with CUPS v1.3.9.
	I'm running openSUSE 11.4 64 bit and CUPS v1.4.4. The CUPS
	dependencies listed don't come up in the software manager, not
	even close. I've learned to look at similar names and search
	the internet using the file names. I've had limited success
	using the CUPS interface at <http://localhost:631/> to add the
	printer. I was able to add the Dymo w/o using any outside
	sources, just what options CUPS gave me. I did have an issue
	because I got an error message about not being able to find
raster2dymolw. I found a file similar
in  /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertodymo that is a link
to /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertolabel. I
changed /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertodymo
to /usr/lib/cups/filter/raster2dymolw and lo and behold I can print
from the left side of the Dymo using glabels. At this point I'm picking
through several tutorials and forum posts several years old, using what
seems to work.

--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber