[mdlug] Time to build a new server

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 16:55:01 EDT 2011

On 08/15/2011 07:43 AM, Robert Adkins II wrote:
> [...]

A coworker and I had a long talk just yesterday about this.

He had the opportunity to go with a very expensive ($3500) low-end
PowerEdge server that had ~ 8GB memory and an i7 processor with 1TB SAS
storage.

Instead, he went with a beefed-up Optiplex workstation with the same
CPU, double the RAM and 4X 1TB SATA drives for about $1500. Same
processing horsepower, more memory and more storage. He set up RAID 0+1
or 1+0 (I don't remember which right now) and got a screaming fast box
with fault tolerance for a pittance. He was able to buy a spare PSU at
the same time. The rest of the stuff prone to fail - CPU and memory - is
COTS stuff he can get locally in a pinch.

The Optiplexes are pretty good boxes, and make excellent small business
servers.

I've also built three white box hypervisors for my home office with
6-core AMD processors, 16GB memory and 500GB drives for ~ $510 each.
Upgrade to a 2TB drive in each and you could literally mirror your
servers instead of your drives. If any component on production failed,
just failover to the standby and repair the production machine at your
leisure.

Of course, with unlimited budget, I'd always go with a "real" server.
It's a risk/reward exercise.
- --
Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Managing Solutions Architect
512-241-0774 office / 512-585-5631 cell
http://people.redhat.com/tcameron/
IRC: choirboy / AIM: rhelguy / Yahoo: rhce_guy /Google+ http://ongpl.us/tdc