[mdlug] Time to build a new server

Mark Thuemmel ldaphelp at thuemmel.com
Fri Aug 12 21:46:48 EDT 2011

On 08/12/2011 10:50 AM, Robert Adkins II wrote:
> I am starting the initial planning process for building the next fileserver
> here.
>
> This one will be built using actual "server" hardward, as opposed to the
> light server/big bad desktop hardware that I have been using.
>
> My intention is to have one internal drive containing the OS, configuration,
> etc., etc. and a series of externally accessible Hotplug drives. Two will be
> in a RAID 1 set containing partitions separating the various datashares. The
> remaining hot plug bays will be used for nightly/bi-nightly or even just
> weekly back-up purposes.
>
> Anyone here have familiarity with particular server mainboard manufacturers
> that support such a setup on Linux out of the box with a default kernel?
> (Yeah, I can easily build a kernel, but if I don't have to in order to get
> things up and running, why should I?)

You might want to detail a few more goals;

Is "here" at your business, or personal home use?

what is a "actual server" exactly?  Listed for sale in the "server"
section of Dell or HP?  Like built to run 24x7, "server class"?

why do you need hotplug drives?  is your uptime requirement so much that
you can't power down and remove a few screws?

How are you plugging the drives in, and what kind are they?  You need
super fast 15000 rpm scsi drives, or going cheap with 5400 rpm drives?

Are you thinking ESATA or USB3 or what?

What is the capacity you need total?  Is this one or two terabytes, or
enough to store your whole porn collection in HD?

Is this rack mounted?

How are you planning to backup?

How often are you going to change the configuration of the drives?

Overall, consider getting a used "server" box with lots of drive bays
that had Linux support from the manufacturer when they were originally
sold.  IBM, HP, Dell have made lots of boxes that came with Linux a
couple of years ago that can be found cheap and have lots of connectors
for hard drives.

Me, being the dangerous type, might look at a good Linux compatable
esata card with the raid and number of drives I wanted, and a usb 3.0
card  for backup external drives.  Then build my own box with a 8 or 16
HD enclosure 4U case for SATA drives.  I'd buy a nice NIC or two and any
old motherboard/cpu.  Probably jack the memory up to 8 gig just becuse.
  I don't need dual power supplies, but a nice UPS is required.

Don't even get me started on iSCSI and it's advantages for enterprise.