[mdlug] Magic Linux Metadata normalizer

Robert Jim Fulner fulner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 12:57:50 EDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Jim Fulner <fulner at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM
Subject: Magic Linux Metadata normalizer
To: mdlug at mdlug.org

Greetings,

OK, so I'm hoping that such a thing actually exists, thought I'd be
surprised. In the past though, many of you have surprised me beyond my
wildest dreams.

So for years I've had a strange hodge podge of a music library. I have
no consistency at all in the way stuff is marked. I have several
directors, labeled MP3 and Music that have a bunch of random files in
them. Some of these files have the correct meta data, most have, some
sort of meta data (I remember for a while when most every I had was
marked as "Blues" for genre simply becuase it was first
alphabetically).

I'm wondering if there is any magic GNU/Linux music normalizer. And by
that I mean some sort of application or trick that will force my
machine to go in and reorder everything the way its "suposed to"
Something like /full-path-to-music-library/Artist/Album/Track#_TrackTitle.ogg
and/or take some of that information that is include in some of the
file names (or whatever) and rewrite the metadata "correctly". No, I
have no idea how something like that would even work in theory, guess
I'll but my money on Penguin Voodoo.

When searching the Internet all I learned is that the word normalize
means something quite different than how I intended it to.

I guess the biggest reason I have decided to care is that when I
connect my Android to the car radio half of my songs show up with the
album art from Madonna's "Music" album. Although it was funny at
first, the humor factor has kind of wore off.

--
==
Jim Fulner

Sent with Iceape Mail