[mdlug] SUSE 11.4 on note books

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Aug 4 14:13:34 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:21 -0700, David Lane wrote:
> I just wanted feed back on Suse 11.4 on note books.

I assume you mean openSUSE 11.4, because there is no such thing as Suse
11.4.  SuSE != openSUSE

I've used openSUSE exclusively on my laptop(s) for years.  It has the
best hardware support, best management tools, and smoothest installation
of any distribution - full stop.  It also ships the normal stack rather
than cobbling together something of its own.

> 1. Does it find network cards?

Yes, but it depends of course.  Don't buy a laptop with a piece-of-crap
NIC/WIC.

Buy hardware to work with your software; do not try to find software to
work on your hardware.

> 2. Does it support Web cams?

Yes.  I just start Cheese and there I am.  No setup required.  I plug in
my external webcam and Cheese offers me two input sources - both work.
Zero setup.