[mdlug] Cellphone and service change

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 16:47:37 EDT 2010

We got rid of the land line last month where I live,  so to maintain
Contact I got a Boost Mobile phone and opted for their pay as you go,
10 cents a minute plan with the 35 cents a day unlimited web option.
So far, so good. But I would like to see he i could get some useful
advice from there lists on a couple of related topics.

First off I am still undecided on what to do with the old phone and
phone number. It is a Kyocera K10 on Virgin Mobile prepaid. It's a
rather crappy phone by todays standards, in somewhat worn shape.
However, the account has in excess of $200 of accumulated credit (with
air time at 20 cents a minute near as I can figure). The account is as
of today suspended: adding at least $10 within the next 60 days should
restore the account and balance.

 My options include:

1. Move the phone number to the new phone, trashing the old phone's account.

2. Try to sell the old phone with the accumulated balance as the major
selling point. Which would. I'm informed require giving up the phone
number.

3. Give up both the phone number and any revenue from selling the
phone by doing nothing.

Which is it more worth my while to do?

Next I would like some advice regarding Tethering, or at least getting
data into and out of the phone. Attempts at both through a USB cable
have failed, though I've managed to get Contacts in and out via
Bluetooth.

Finally recommendations for useful Apps.

Oh btw, the new phone is a Sanyo Mirro PRC3810.

Thanks;

Drew.