[mdlug] Lethal hardware

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 09:29:16 EDT 2010

--- Raymond.Ingles wrote:

> I have a *really* cheap card reader hooked up to my Linux box at work.
[...]
> Until this morning. I'd updated the kernel and rebooted... and, after
> GRUB, got nothing on the console. Zip. I could ssh in for a little
> while, but then the system would freeze up. *Very* frustrating.
> I finally booted with a rescue CD, and got a look at the syslog. I
> noticed it complaining about USB stuff just before the freeze. So, I
> yanked the card reader from the hub, and... everything booted up just
> fine.

The very first time I tried to install Linux (SuSE 8.0), it simply
would NOT install.  The install process would fail at various points
in different ways and a tech support request was ignored.  It turned
out to be the USB mouse, a fancy "4D" mouse/trackball combo that was
too smart for the installer, I guess.  USB issues crop up in strange
ways--I've seen it with Windows, too.

~~ Michael Rudas
   My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com
   My software blog: http://FaveSoft.blogspot.com