[mdlug] Smartctl Reports Errors on HDD

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Tue Mar 30 07:02:15 EDT 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:15:40 -0400
"Wojtak, Greg" <GregWojtak at quickenloans.com> wrote:

> Does the smartctl output tell you which block is bad?  If so, you
> could use dd with the skip= parameter to seek out the bad block and
> destroy it.  In a hard drive bad block mapping sense, of course. :)

    Yes it did, I saved the report to a flash drive so I could
    reference it. I ended up zeroing the whole drive. I figured it
    would take hours, but it was over so quick I had to check to make
    sure I did it right. I do want to look at and learn drive geometry,
    just not right now. It's happily running Ubuntu 9.10, awaiting
    delivery to it's new owners. $50 for a Lightscribe dvd drive wasn't
    a bad price for a pentium D that's faster than 2ghz!
--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber
Sent from a mobile Internet Tablet