[mdlug] Online Storage - Dropbox

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Mon Mar 15 14:34:25 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 12:31 -0400, Clinton Weiss wrote:
> disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Dropbox, I just like it
>
> http://www.getdropbox.com
>
> The home storage thread has inspired me to share an online storage
> utility which I have found to be invaluable on every one of my
> computers.  It works on Mac, a few popular Linux distros, and of course
> Windows.
>
> My personal pros:
> - 2 GB free.
> - Very fast, rsync like behavior.
> - File history.
> - "Public" folder that you can use to create URL's to share files with
> others.
> - Files stored in a true folder structure, you can modify files from the
> command line or a gui.
>
> My personal cons:
> - It isn't open source, and that bugs me.  But it's a good tool, and
> free is valuable.
> - Your files are stored "somewhere", and who knows what admins may have
> access to them.  Don't store anything you wouldn't trust to be online.
>
> I have found it very useful for transporting such documents as school
> papers, various reference PDFs, pictures, etc. across several computers
> simultaneously.  When my Mom's hard drive failed and she got it
> replaced, she simply re-installed Dropbox and had all of her files right
> back on her computer.  Yes, it's that easy that a 52 year old woman can
> use it and actually like it!

	Yes! This has helped me greatly. My alter ego now takes care of the
Cocker Spaniel Rescue website
<http://michigancockerrescue.rescuegroups.org/>, and Dropbox enables me
to transfer large files over long distances so I can post them. I
especially like that it does not require any installation, unless you
want to. I'm using it as a cloud, I think is the right terminology. A
foster family will upload pictures and videos of their foster dog and
I'll get them from there to post on our site. Beats the pants off
sneaker net. Betcha didn't know I'm a closet bleeding heart tree hugger?
My dogs thinks so but they don't care!
--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber