[mdlug] Android

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Mar 10 14:09:15 EST 2010

> From: Adam Tauno Williams

> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 13:18 -0500, Ron Blanchett wrote:
> > I have the Moto Droid on VZW and I rooted the phone in the first few
weeks
> > of having it.
>
> Stupid question: Why bother?

 Well, as soon as I get my Droid, I'm going to modify the /etc/hosts
file to block a lot of ads and other cruft I don't want to deal with or
download when surfing the web. You need root for that. I'll also
probably remove a few stock apps that I won't care about. A few extra
customization options are apparently available - 5 home screens instead
of 3, etc.

 I don't really have an interest in tethering (having a laptop use the
phone as its internet link) but rooting allows that, too, apparently.

 For most people the benefits would be marginal, but I'm a tweaking
kinda guy.

 Of course, apparently the Android 2.1 upgrade is coming "any day now"
for the Droid, and rooting will probably become harder until/unless
another exploit is found...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                          (313) 227-2317

 "If one is going to use standard units, one should do it right and
               use Kelvins. That way nobody is happy."
           - Linux Weekly News, on Fahrenheit vs. Celsius