[mdlug] KDE 4

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 01:20:14 EDT 2010

Stan Green wrote:
> I run KDE 3.5 on my desktop and on my wife's PC I have KDE 4.x. (It is SUSE 11,
> which does not ship with KDE 3.5.)
>
> The one major thing that was a huge pain was no desktop icons! In KDE 3.5 I can
> create a symbolic link on the desktop. This way she can open her documents and
> not care where they are on the file system. (She modifies a few documents on a
> regular basis.)  I did find a work-around by making the desktop display the
> contents of a folder. I them put the symbolic links in the folder and I have
> desktop icons back. I guess Segio did not get rid of all the desktop icon code.

The KDE 4 team, did so, and VERY begrudgingly, after several
MONTHS of berating emails on the opensuse mailing lists
[Many KDE devs subscribe to the opensuse list.  This is how
I'm aware of the lying.  The swore up and down that 4.0 was
"ready for the desktop user" ... all of use who tested it
said in no uncertain terms, that it was alpha-ware crap and
should NOT in any way, shape or form, be indicated on the
openSUSE 11.0 release as anything other than extremely
incomplete and unstable, so that newbies wouldn't install
it (hey, 4.0 must be better than 3.5, right!?!?!) thinking
that it represents the typical quality of Linux software.

But they did, anyways.  The whole KDE 4 project has been
notable for the incredible levels of dishonesty from the
devs, [[which they finally admitted about 15 months ago]].
If they can't be honest with their most ardent supporters,
and in fact, lie to us, in writing, repeatedly, even AFTER
being called out on it ... I cannot trust this crowd one bit.

And I will not trust them until Segio and others are
removed from the KDE team.

And that really sucks, because I find Gnome to be an
extremely ugly, inflexible crap written by a bunch with
an MS-like "we know better than you" attitude ("the
'average user' should want it this way, therefore so
should you, so don't bother looking to customize it")
The problem is, the "average user" is a myth.