[mdlug] Open Source accounting software

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Thu Jan 28 11:10:35 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 10:47 -0500, R. Kannan wrote:
> Man you are missing out the fun of entering data, answering all those questions
> and clicking on help :-) I feel sorry for you.

Yep, personal-tax-software is a category I've never understood.
*Buying* a personal-tax-package is like paying to be locked naked in a
small cold damp room for several hours.  It seems obvious why there
isn't any Open Source *personal* tax software.... who would want to
spend their time writing that?  ...Yawn...   [There is Open Source ERP
software - but someone gets paid to develop that].

I work in IT - other people pay me to solve their IT issues.  I pay a
mechanic to fix my car, I pay a dentist to maintain my teeth, and I pay
an accountant to do my taxes.  All of them do what they do far more
quickly and effectively than I could perform those same tasks.