[mdlug] sharing a remote desktop between two remote users

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:45:18 EST 2010

The headless machine is running Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64 Server and local is
running Ubuntu 8.04 i386.

This is what I've tried so far.

On the headless machine:
$ sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
$ tightvncserver
create password

On the local machine:
Applications > Internet > Terminal Server Client
specified computer:port, VNC, and username
on clicking Connect, I entered the password I created for the VNC session

A window then appeared showing my remote desktop (not perfectly, but
good enough for now.)

Opened gedit on the remote desktop with Applications > Accessories >
Text Editor.  However, key entry is completely foobared.  Typing "abc"
produces "asd" and neither the backspace nor escape key works.  And
logging out doesn't quite complete -- there's just a blank desktop.

Regards,
- Robert