[mdlug] [Hardware] Replacing an LCD backlight

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Thu Jan 21 09:00:05 EST 2010

Michael Rudas wrote:
> As someone that has actually repaired monitors for a living, I would
> say that you are probably better off replacing the monitor at this
> point--both because of the long-term use that the old one has seen and
> because a LOT of improvements have been made to LCD monitors in the
> last 4 years.  In fact, I JUST bought my very first LCD monitor--with
> an LED backlight (I held off partly because I am no fan of CCFL
> backlights).  Though I still think that CRTs have an image advantage
> over LCDs (more and truer colors, for example), I must say that I
> really like my AOC 22" monitor overall and I'm happy that I got it.

I don't know about the color thing.  I have excellent color perception
(Yes it was tested)  They look good to me.  What I do notice with some
is that the angle you view it at changes your perception of what is on
the screen.  My Thinkpad T-61 is bad for that.  The Acer 23" is not.
Secondly CRTs I noticed vary from set to set on how things looked.  So
they were not that true.  NTSC  Never Twice Same Color.

That said, I'll second the recommendation.  I paid $150 for a 23 inch
1920x1080 monitor that I have no complaints about.  It's the second LCD
I have had and blows the previous one (which was good) out of the
water.  The things have simply gotten too inexpensive to fix.  Outside
of a laptop, in which the computer is part of the deal I don't think I
would.  Stand alone monitors are dirt cheap for good quality.  Inside of
a laptop is to damn hot to work anyway.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? -Mohandas K. Gandhi
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org